28 July 2021
Hello all! This week wasn’t too eventful, but I’ll try my best to make this email worth the read, haha.
One of my favorite things that happened last week was when we were in a breakout room. My group had already finished reciting something we had to memorize so we had some time to kill. At one point it was decided that we should all bring our moms in to say hi. It was one of the funniest moments of the online MTC so far.
This week was certainly one for making friends. As we advance in our language and memorization skills, we have a lot more time on our hands, as the teacher has to get through everyone. This leads to a lot of small group discussions where we get to know each other better. Everyone in my district has some sort of secret talent or something to share, and we always get a good laugh. I feel like I know these people even though I haven’t met them in person. It’s such a cool experience.
Today for P-day, I did a few fun things. First, I went and got a haircut. I left that barbershop with more than just a fresh cut, but I’ll tell that story in a second. After my haircut, I went with my buddy, Jayden Barney, to meet up with Elder DeBry from my district. He lives in Henderson, so we met up at a driving range to hit some golf balls. Afterwards, we got Chick-fil-A (I looked like an employee haha). It was really cool to meet him in real life, especially because sometimes the online MTC feels like I’m just talking to a screen. This reminded me that this is real. And that I have a killer swing with a driver. Super cool stuff.
A little background before I tell the barbershop story: I hate going in public dressed like a missionary. Everyone sees me, and I watch people actively avoid me. Everyone stares at me (and no, not just because I’m super good looking). To add on to this, I did not want to walk into the barbershop wearing my nametag. The lady who cuts my hair is so nice, but she’s a member of another religion, and the last time I was there we had quite the theological discussion. I was so nervous to go back, this time as a missionary. As a missionary, I am asked to always wear my nametag, as it identifies me as witnesses of Jesus Christ. There are times, however, that missionaries are not required to wear their nametag, such as situations that pertain to safety or aggressive confrontation. I wanted so badly for this situation to fall under the latter. But my dad and I decided that it would be best for me to wear my tag. But since it’s p-day, I would at least be dressed in normal clothes, rather than a shirt and tie.
So my mom and I walked into the barbershop. The lady who normally cuts my hair was gone, but I couldn’t really come back another day so we decided to settle for the other guy who works there. The only other people in there were an 11 year old kid and his mom. We sat down and joined in the conversation with the talkative strangers. As it turns out, the mom and her son are less active members of the Church and the boy had been baptized by some Elders a few years ago. The boy was confused why we were talking about missionaries and church when he realized I was wearing a name tag that says, “Elder Aldrich”. I wish I could describe the way this boy’s face lit up when he realized I was a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. “You’re an Elder!” he said, with a big smile on his face. For the rest of his haircut, the boy talked about how much he loved the missionaries and how much they meant to him. He made me realize how much being a missionary matters to people, and the impact I might be able to have one someone someday. I am so glad that I decided to wear my name tag, even though I was afraid of potential confrontation. It reminded me that I should not be embarrassed, nervous, or afraid to be a representative of Jesus Christ.
I am so grateful for all the love and support I receive from my family and friends! I can’t believe that I am halfway through the MTC! I have not heard if I have been temporarily reassigned yet, but I will most likely receive one soon because Chile’s borders are only open to citizens and residents for the time being. Hopefully, I will know for sure in the next week or two. I love you all, and I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Elder Aldrich
Fotos:
1. Hawaiian Shirts and Flowers
2. Mom show-and-tell
3. Meeting my internet friend in real life, don't try this at home kids
